How to Register to Vote
Eligibility to Vote
Registering to vote is a fairly simple process when compared to years past. Currently, you are eligible to vote as long as you can answer yes to the following statements:
- You have been a Richmond County resident for 30 days prior to an election.
- You are a U.S. Citizen either by birth or naturalization.
- You are 18 years of age or will be the date of the next November Election.
- If you have been convicted of a felony, you have completed all parts of your sentence for the felony conviction or have been pardoned. If you can answer yes to all of these statements, you can register to vote. If you register to vote using false information you can be convicted of a Class I felony.
Length of voter registration is a popular misconception. Some people think that they must re-register to vote before each election. This is not the case. As long as you are an active voter in Richmond County and your address has not changed, there is no need to re-register before every election. If you are unsure of the status of your voter registration you can simply call our office at 910-997-8253 and ask someone to check the status of your registration. You can also check the link below to look up your registration.
Another misconception is that voter registration is transferable from county to county or from county to another state. If your residence changes within the county (you moved but stayed in Richmond County) you simply need to update your address with our office. However, if you move to another county or state, you will need to complete a new voter application in the county or state that you moved to.
Be sure to complete the previous address information on your new application. This will help in the process of removing your registration from the Richmond County voter registration books. It is unlawful to knowingly register and vote in more than 1 location.
Getting an Application to Register to Vote
There are several ways that you can get an application to register to vote. They are as follows:
- By calling our office at 910-997-8253 and requesting that an application be mailed to you. You can complete the application and mail it back to our office.
- View the North Carolina English Voter Registration (PDF) and complete the form and either bring it to our office or mail it to our office.
Si usted es residente de Carolina del Norte, utilice este formulario. El procesamiento de su solicitud será facilitada si envía el formulario a la Junta Electoral de su condado de residencia. Para encontrar la dirección de su Junta Electoral del Condado haga clik en el enlace County Offices arriba.
- Complete una Solicitud de Inscripción para Votar en Carolina del Norte.
- Imprima la solicitud.
- Firme la solicitud (tinta al papel). Las firmas electrónicas no son aceptables.
- Envíe la solicitud a la junta electoral de su condado
Voter Application Deadline
To be eligible to vote in an upcoming election, a completed voter application must be postmarked or delivered to the Board of Elections no later than the 25 days before the election.