Commissioner Meeting Information
Regular Meetings of the Richmond County Board of Commissioners are held on the first Monday of each month at 5:30 P.M. Regular Meetings are held in the County Commission Chambers on the second floor of the Richmond County Administration Building at 125 S. Hancock Street, Rockingham, NC unless otherwise advertised to be held at alternative locations in the County. Subsequent meetings may be scheduled as needed.
To schedule an item of business for the Board of Commissioners’ agenda, please contact Marian S. Savage, Clerk to the Board of Commissioners, at 910-997-8213. In accordance with the Board’s Meeting and Agenda Policy, the deadline for submittal of Agenda items shall be two Fridays prior to the first Monday in the month Regular Meeting date.
The Board provides an opportunity for public comment during a 30-minute Open Forum at the beginning of each 5:30 P.M. Regular Meeting on the first Monday of the month. In accordance with the Board’s Policy for Public Appearances, requests for such appearances may be made to the Clerk to the Board until 5:30 P.M. on the date of the meeting.
POLICY OF THE RICHMOND COUNTY BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS
PROCEDURE FOR PUBLIC APPEARANCES
The Richmond County Board of Commissioners hereby revises the policy concerning public appearances before the Board and does hereby establish the following policy and changes in the existing meeting procedures:
- In addition to the existing opportunity to appear before the Board as an agenda item, the Board will establish a time for citizen input during each regular meeting of the Board of Commissioners.
- The Board does hereby establish a time period of 30 minutes for an open forum at the beginning of each regular meeting to hear citizens’ comments.
- By Resolution adopted February 17, 2011, the Regular Meeting time is hereby changed to 5:30 P.M.
- The 30-minute time frame will be limited to 6 individuals speaking for no more than 5 minutes each, and groups addressing the Board shall be limited to 10-minute presentations with no more than 2 speakers.
- Comments should be limited to discussion of items which have an impact upon the community, and every speaker will be held responsible for his or her comments, and if deemed inappropriate (such as slanderous or libelous remarks), the Chairman may revoke the individual’s right to speak.
- During the 30-minute open forum this time shall not be used to discuss any of the following: 1) matters which appear on the agenda of that meeting; 2) matters which concern the candidacy of any person seeking public office, including the person addressing the Board; 3) a request that the Board consider funding a certain program or activity, either from the current budget or from a future budget; and 4) matters in current or anticipated litigation.
- Any citizen wishing to address the Board during the 30-minute Open Forum may call the Clerk to the Board anytime during regular office hours until 5:00 P.M. on the Friday prior to the first Monday of the month Regular Meeting. Speakers will be asked to specify the subject matter or nature of comments to be made. (Amended by Board action May 20, 2008)
- There will be no public debate nor audience response to comments made during this portion of the agenda unless requested by the Board.
ADOPTED THE 6TH DAY OF OCTOBER, 1997.
AMENDED THE 1ST DAY OF FEBRUARY, 1999.
AMENDED THE 20th DAY OF MAY, 2008.